When it comes to choosing the flooring for your home, you want it to be stylish but practical too. We all know that replacing flooring can be both time-consuming and expensive and not a job that is done often within the home so we want to make sure that we choose a floor covering that is going to withstand everything that our busy lives throw at it.
Over the next few months, we are planning to decorate everywhere in our home – it seems never-ending although we’ve already decorated our room and started the kitchen and bathroom, the boy’s room we decorated not so long ago is already in need of fresh wallpaper and paint. In the coming months, we are planning to change our living room flooring, kitchen, bathroom and hall, stairs and landing. Whilst the hallway, stair and landing will be carpeted we are thinking of something more durable in the other rooms. At the minute we are unsure what we want in them but the laminate we have down at the moment has seen better days and is definitely in need of being replaced.
Whether you are looking at wooden flooring, vinyl floor tiles or planning to carpet every room in your house you want to ensure it will look it’s best and last as long as possible. In our house, when it comes to flooring I have to consider three children, 4 pets and a partner who likes to go fishing at the weekend so for us, carpets everywhere would be out of the question.
Here are just a few of the reasons why you should choose vinyl floor tiles.
- Moisture, Water and Weather Resistant – Vinyl is the perfect product to use in kitchens and bathrooms. If you have an open plan living space it also means that you can have one continuous floor flowing throughout. The materials used to make the flooring does not expand or contract meaning it will not warp or bulge should it get hot, cold or wet – perfect for those with pets, toddlers or accident prone other half’s who might be known to spill the odd glass or two of water/juice/wine on the floor. In our house, it is always the boys who spill juice everywhere.
- Lots To Choose From – One of the great things about vinyl flooring is that there are no limits to the design effect that can be created during manufacturing this means there is a high chance of finding a design that you will love and one that fits in with your home. Vinyl flooring can easily coordinate with any sort of room decor, but you could style it up with a rug to add texture and warmth.
- Anti-slip and Quiet – This is definitely a factor to consider if you have small children and pets. The last thing you want is them slipping and sliding all the time. Vinyl floor tiles have a good grip even when wet thanks to their protective top coating that contains fine grains and grooves. The materials used to make the tiles are highly compressed, this helps reduce echo while you walk on it so if you’re heavy footed or your little ones like nothing better than to run around or play with their toys their noise will be reduced and won’t echo as much.
- Easy to Clean – This is the most important factor to me when it comes to choosing a new flooring. The great thing about vinyl is that you can vacuum, sweep or mop it. I love my steam mop and would be lost if I couldn’t use it.
- Easy Installation – So easy you could lay it yourself. Vinyl flooring requires no glues and no grooves – simply just click and lay it down. If like myself you’re not very good at DIY and are on a tight budget installation costs that can be kept down are a huge consideration.
- Highly Durable – Another thing to consider is how long the flooring will last. Most vinyl tile brands offer a standard 10-year guarantee for commercial use and 20 years for domestic use and most brands use a combination of recycled materials when making their tiles to ensure they are being environmentally friendly too.
Are you planning on changing your flooring soon? If so what coverings are you thinking of using?