The boys broke up from school last Friday and the weather since has been terrible. We decided that as it’s been so miserable we would do a spot of baking to cheer us up. We decided that as Easter is just a few days away we would try our hands at making some cupcakes.
Easter Nest Cup Cakes
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Ingredients you will need:
For The Cakes:
- 115g (4 oz) Stork margarine
- 115g (4 oz) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 115g (4 oz) self-raising flour, sieved together with
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
For The Chocolate Nest:
- 40g (1 ½ oz) Stork margarine
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 6 tablespoons drinking chocolate powder
- 18 tablespoons cornflakes or branflakes or crushed shredded wheat
- Cadbury Mini Eggs
For The Cakes:
- Place all the cake ingredients into a mixing bowl
- Beat all the ingredients together until they are well mixed
- Prepare a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases
- Spoon mixture into the cases
- Bake in preheated oven 190°C, 170°C fan, Gas mark 5 for 15 -20 minutes
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool
For The Chocolate Nests:
- Gently melt Stork and golden syrup in a bowl over a pan of boiling water
- Stir in the drinking chocolate and cornflakes
- Place a tablespoon of mix on each cupcake in a nest effect and leave to set.
- Decorate with 2 – 3 mini eggs
We were sent some from OXO to be able to make the above recipe.
- A 2.8L Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl (£14.00). Suitable for mixing dough, folding batter and even marinating meat. The bowl has a non-skid base that makes it extra sturdy and resistant to slipping -even when a surface is wet. The Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl has a brushed stainless steel interior that retains temperature and a white plastic exterior that shields your hands from extreme temperatures. The curved interior surface allows for easy mixing and cleaning and is dishwasher safe.
- A Medium Silicone Spatula (£7.00). Perfect for stirring and mixing. The spatula’s head and neck is covered in Silicone for easy cleaning. Is heat-resistant up to 315°C/600°F so it won’t discolour, warp or melt when being used for the preparation of hot foods. Also safe to use on both coated and non-stick cookware and bakeware. The spatula has a soft, comfortable, non-slip grip. Dishwasher safe.
- A 11″ Silicone Balloon Whisk (£10.00). The whisk has a soft, comfortable, non-slip handle. It is heat resistant up to 600°F, so won’t discolour, warp or melt when used and is safe to use on non-stick, ceramic and metal cookware. Dishwasher safe.