We’ve all read about and seen on the news that there is a massive issue with single-use plastics and how it is damaging our oceans all around the world. The topic is very important, not just for adults but for kids too and My Three and Me are trying to reduce the amount of single-use plastic we use in our home. We all have reusable water bottles and we always try to buy shopping without lots of packaging. But us doing out bit isn’t enough – everyone needs to help too.
With this huge problem in mind Sky recently launched a 12-episode series, Dive In and Do It. The series introduces kids to the issues surrounding plastics and discusses the problems they pose for our oceans and sea life. Each short episode suggests tips and life hacks so that kids can dive in and reduce their use of single-use plastics in a fun, interactive way – perfect to entertain the kids over half-term. The series is presented by Paddy, Reis, 9-year-old Ynez and an animated turtle – Logey – who persuades young viewers that, if we all make small steps, we can make a big difference! The series is available across all Sky platforms including Q, +, Kids App, Go & NOW TV now. You can see a little clip of the series below:
Ways you can reduce the amount of single-use plastic in your home
- Reuse carrier bags when shopping (bags for life are perfect for this), you can also buy material shopping bags that can be used over and over too
- Use a reusable bottle for water and juice or cup for hot drinks – many outlets will fill your reusable cup and reduce your drink price if you take your own
- If you have a packed lunch keep your sandwiches etc in a lunchbox so there is no need to use clingfilm or food bags and make sure you if you are using plastic cutlery it is the type that can be washed and reused.
- Don’t use disposable baby wipes and cotton buds
- When visiting the beach or countryside ALWAYS take your litter home with you and dispose of it properly
What do you do to help reduce the amount of single-use plastics in your home?
*This is a collaborative post*