The Terry’s Chocolate Orange Millionaires Shortbread is an irresistible twist on the traditional recipe; the crumbling shortbread base and indulgent caramel perfectly combine with the signature chocolate orange flavour for its top layer decorated with the iconic orange segments.
175g Plain Flour
1 Orange, zested
379g can Condensed Milk
75ml Golden Syrup
3 Terry’s Chocolate Oranges
- Preheat the oven to 180c/160fan and line a 20×20 brownie tin. In the bowl of a food processor, add the butter and plain flour. Blitz until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs and then add in the sugar and orange zest and blitz again to combine. Take the mixture out and work with your hands to form a ball of dough. Push the dough into the base of the lined tin until it is flat and even and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare the caramel. In a large non-stick frying pan, heat the condensed milk, golden syrup, butter and sugar until the butter has melted and the mixture begins to boil. Stir constantly to keep it from burning. Turn the mixture down to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the colour starts to become golden brown. Remove from the heat and transfer to a heatproof bowl to cool and thicken slightly.
- Once the shortbread is cooked, allow to cool for 10 minutes and then pour the cooled caramel over the top. Allow to cool and then chill for 10 minutes while you melt the chocolate. Bring a small pan of water to the boil and place a heatproof bowl over the top making sure that the water does not touch the bowl directly. Break up the chocolate oranges into segments, reserving half of one for decoration and tip the rest into the bowl. Turn the heat down immediately to a gentle simmer and allow the chocolate to gradually melt, stirring occasionally.
- Once the chocolate has melted, remove the shortbread from the fridge and pour over the chocolate, making sure to spread it into the corners. Use the remaining chocolate segments to decorate the top and then chill until firm.
- Once the chocolate is set and you are ready to serve, slice into 25 squares.