Recently we were asked by McCains to make one of my boys favourite meals – pizza and chips. We were sent the ingredients to create the dish.
Here is the recipe and the ingredients that you will need should you want to create it yourself.
Mini pita pizzas with pick’n’mix toppings and McCain French Fries
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 4/6 whole-wheat pita breads
- 480g McCain French Fries
- Salad leaves
- Toppings of your choice
For the tomato sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Good pinch of dried mixed herbs
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C / Gas Mark 9.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, gently fry the onions until soft and golden, and add
the garlic and herbs. Add the tomatoes and simmer until thickened (for approx 20
3. Meanwhile brush each pita with a little olive oil and grill until crispy (this stops the
base from going soggy).
4. Top the base of the pita with a layer of your tomato sauce and add your favourite
cheeses and toppings. Chopped ham, sweetcorn, chicken, pineapple, olives,
mozzarella and mushrooms all work well.
5. Spread McCain French Fries evenly on a baking sheet and cook for 14-16 minutes
until hot and crispy.
6. After 10 minutes add the pitas to the oven for the remaining 6-8 minutes. Enjoy the
pitas with a serving of French Fries
The recipe was really easy to follow and wasn’t too time consuming. In all it took us 20 – 30 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to cook. Callum loved choosing his own topping and putting it on his pizza. Nathan and James told me what they wanted on theirs and I put it on for them.
I will certainly be creating similar pizzas in the future with the boys, they are healthy and easy to do and it was lots of fun for the boys to be involved too. They can choose what they wanted on their own pizzas and in a way is so much easier than buying pizzas from the supermarket as no one agrees what to have.
There were clean plates all around in our house last night at tea time. The whole meal cost around £10 but this will obviously differ depending on the ingredients that you use and the shop where you purchase them from. Our ingredients were bought from Tesco.