Zesty Christmas Carrot Cake
Serves: 10 people
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutesIngredients:
- 169g butter
- 3 tbsp. chopped walnuts
- 4 eggs
- 170g brown sugar
- 170g ground almonds
- 105g plain flour
- 5 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 250g grated carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 2 tbsp. Maille Wholegrain Mustard
- 3 tbsp. golden raisins
- Grated peel of 2 oranges (about 3 tbsp.), divided
- Grated peel of 1 lemon (about 1-½ tbsp.)
- Grated peel of 1 lime (about 1 tbsp.) (optional)
- 1½ tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. ground coriander (optional)
- 350g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp. water
- Preheat your oven to 180∘C. Spray 20 muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray; set aside. Melt butter with walnuts in a saucepan - put to the side.
- Beat eggs with brown sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until foamy; put to the side. Mix ground almonds, flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in egg mixture just until blended.
- Stir in walnut mixture, carrots, Maille Wholegrain Mustard, raisins, grated peels (only 1 of the oranges), ginger, cinnamon and coriander until blended. Spoon evenly into prepared cups.
- Bake 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cakes comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and cool completely.
- Blend icing sugar, water and remaining 1 ½ tablespoons orange peel in a bowl. Spread on the cakes and let stand uncovered until set - roughly about 2 hours.
- Enjoy with a lovely cup of tea.
*We were sent a hamper of items to recreate this recipe*