We were recently asked by Holiday Extras to create a scrapbook of an upcoming holiday that we were going on but as we weren't planning one we decided to make a scrapbook of a staycation instead. Matthew took a week off work and the boys were on half term from school so we decided that this was the perfect opportunity to capture some memories with the boys - it's always nice to have a memento of happy times you've shared together and it's lovely to be able to look back at them in the future.
We live in Yorkshire and it's a very beautiful county with lots to offer, because of this we decided that we didn't really need to go too far away from home as there's a little bit of everything / something for everyone to enjoy. Here are the places / attractions we visited.
- We went to Reggie and Bollie from The X Factor at Flamingo Land with my best friend - we had an amazing night even if it was freezing cold and wet.
- We went to The Yorkshire Wildlife Park again - This was somewhere we loved visiting and all agreed it would be great to go back. My favourite animals are the lions and tigers, James, on the other hand, loved that you can walk in with the lemurs and wallabies and we all had a laugh at the nosey meercats.
- Matthew took the boys to visit The National Coal Mining Museum, near Wakefield. His grandad's both worked in the Pit industry and he wanted to take the boys to see their family history. They absolutely loved that they got to wear a hard hat and torch to see where they were going in the pit. What I love about the museum is that it's run by men who used to work in the coal mines - they know what they're talking about and add a lot of personal insight into the tour - something the boys really loved.
- We had a very lazy day and we had a stroll around our local racecourse, which has a lake, we saw lots of baby ducks and geese and we even got to have a play at the playground and enjoy an ice cream.
- It's been a while since I've had a day of shopping so we decided to pay a visit to Lakeside Village in Doncaster. The boys really didn't like this much but luckily for them, there's a lovely large lake nearby so our day was finished with a walk around it - it's a great place to skim stones and watch the world go by, there's lots of fish in the lake too and on a clear sunny day you can see them all topping the water trying to eat the bugs.
We all had a lovely week spending time together and exploring our local area/attractions and can't wait to explore more in the summer holidays. If you're thinking about holidaying in Yorkshire, I would highly recommend it. There's so much to see and do for the whole family, whether you stay for a day or a week. If you like the thought of a family holiday to Yorkshire but not the hassle that comes along with booking a holiday there's a solution to that. Holiday Extra will make your holiday as comfortable and enjoyable as possible by taking the hassle out of booking your holiday extras such as hotels, airport, car hire, parking and much more. Last year they helped over 1,000,000 customers across Yorkshire and the surrounding areas to take care of their holiday extras. Currently, within Yorkshire and surrounding areas they work with 28 hotels, 7 airport lounges and 25 parking facilities along with thousands of other partners and services. SO whether you're travelling by car, bus or plane Holiday Extras will help take the hassle out of the holiday preparations so you can sit back and relax.
We've never made a scrapbook before this challenge and it makes me a little bit sad if I'm honest, we had an amazing holiday to Devon a few years ago and it would've been lovely to have made something for the boys to look back on in the future and remember it. We're hopefully going on holiday next year so we will be sure to make a scrapbook of our time away so we can look back in years to come at our times together.