If you'd like to see how the ginormous bottom was made, take a look at the video below:
To My Three, Easter means chocolate, eggs, the Easter Bunny and more chocolate. The school holidays always means baking (even if it's just once) so when we were asked to recreate our own bunny bums we jumped at the chance and got to work. We used this Dr Oetker recipe to make our cupcakes.
Bunny Bum Cupcakes
Preparation time: 1 hour plus cooling
Cooking time: 30 minutes (including chocolate melting)
Makes: 12 cupcakes
Ingredients:For The Cupcakes:
- 12 Dr. Oetker Muffin Cases
- 125 g (4 ½ oz) Baking margarine, softened
- 125 g (4 ½ oz) Caster sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 125 g (4 ½ oz) Plain flour
- 1 sachet/ 25 g (1 oz) Dr. Oetker Fine Dark Cocoa Powder
- 2 sachets/ 10 g (2 tsp) Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
- 200 g (7 oz) Dr. Oetker Milk Fine Cooks’ Chocolate
- 15 g (1/2 oz) Dr. Oetker White Chocolate Chips
- 130 g Dr. Oetker Liquid Glucose
- 125 g (4 ½ oz) Unsalted butter, softened
- 225 g (8 oz) Icing Sugar
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Extract
- 1 tube Dr. Oetker Lime Green Gel Food Colour
Method:1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C (160˚C fan assisted oven, 350˚F, gas mark 4). Put the Muffin Cases in 12 muffin tins. Put the margarine in a mixing bowl, add the caster sugar and eggs. Sift the flour, Cocoa and Baking Powder on top and using an electric whisk on a low speed, gently blend the ingredients together. Increase the mixer speed and whisk for a few more seconds until well mixed.
2. Divide the mixture equally between the cases and smooth over the tops. Bake for about 25 minutes until risen and just firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
3. To decorate, break up the Milk Chocolate into pieces and place in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water, and leave to melt. Remove from the water and stir in 125g (4 ½ oz) Liquid Glucose to form a thick paste. Scrape onto a piece of baking parchment.
and leave to cool – the mixture will become firm and pliable when cold. Avoid prolonged chilling as the paste will become too hard to mould.
4. Set aside 12 White Chocolate Chips. Put the rest of the Chips in a small heatproof bowl and melt as above. Mix in 5 g (1 tsp) Liquid Glucose. Leave to cool as above.
5. Meanwhile, put the butter in a bowl and beat until smooth and glossy. Gradually sift and beat in all the icing sugar until creamy and soft and add Vanilla Extract. Mix in the whole tube of Green Gel Food Colour. Thickly spread the icing on top of each cupcake, right to the edge.
6. Divide the Milk Chocolate paste into 13 equal pieces, and form 12 portions into balls. Place a ball on top of each iced cake. Use the remaining portion of paste to make 12 pairs of bunny feet and leave aside on baking parchment.
7. Divide the White Chocolate paste into 12 equal portions. Use to make 12 pairs of foot pads and press gently onto the feet. Score bunny toes with a small knife, then gently press onto the sides of the bunny bodies. Top each bunny body with one of the reserved White Chocolate Chips as a tail. Your cupcakes are now ready to serve and enjoy!
Note: if the moulding paste becomes too hard to work with, you can pop it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to soften it up again.
We found the recipe easy to follow and our cupcakes turned out great, we changed the recipe slightly by adding Dr Oetker American Peppermint Extract to the green icing instead of the Vanilla Extract. The boys loved the minty green"grass". If you wanted to make your own cupcakes (which I highly recommend that you do) you could add another flavour to your icing - Dr Oetker has a huge range of naturally flavoured extracts including Sicilian Lemon and Caramel. If you are particularly crafty you could make complete little bunnies instead of just their bums too.
We will definitely be making these cupcakes again, but we might add chocolate chips and orange flavouring to the cupcake mixture to make chocolate orange cupcakes and if we're feeling really adventurous we might even try to make multicoloured bunny bums.
If you love all things baking, be sure to follow #BunnyBum @DrOetkerBakes to be in with a chance to win a baking hamper!