Uncategorized

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

Did you know that this week is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week (16th – 22nd November). As awareness week’s go I would say that this one is pretty important, and one that everyone should pay attention too as it may just save your life. 

If you have gas appliances in your home every year they must be serviced by someone who is Gas Safe Registered. If you own your own home then you are responsible for this but if you are in a rented property your landlord is the one who must pay for this. In a recent survey carried out by Corgi 41% of the people questioned said that their appliances weren’t serviced annually and a very shocking and scary 7% said that their boilers had never been serviced.

A carbon monoxide leak is most likely to be caused by incorrectly installed or poorly maintained household appliances – cookers, heaters and central heating boilers.
If you notice any of these signs in your home it could mean that you have a carbon monoxide leak. You should look out for:
  • A yellow or orange flame on your cooker – it should be crisp and blue
  • Dark staining on or around your appliances
  • Sooty marks on the walls around boilers, stoves or the cover of gas fires
  • The Pilot light that frequently go out
  • Increased condensation inside your windows

If you think you have a carbon monoxide leak:

  • Get fresh air
  • Turn off the appliance 
  • Leave the house and seek medical attention
  • Call 0800 085 0845

If your appliance or boiler is faulty you wouldn’t even know as Carbon Monoxide is tasteless, odourless and colourless. It is a silent killer and even a small amount can cause you serious harm. According to NHS statistics carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for killing 40 people and hospitalising more than 200 victims in the UK each year. 

Although it isn’t law I think every home should have a Carbon Monoxide detector in them. They work by detecting small amounts of gas that are escaping from your faulty appliances before they become dangerous to you or your family. Detectors vary in price but start from a few ££. They really are worth the investment, lets face it you can’t put a price on your life or that of your family?

By knowing the signs of Carbon Monoxide poisoning you could save someone’s life.The six symptoms to look for are:

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of consciousness
These symptoms are easily mistaken as flu, food poisoning, viral infections and even tiredness, but carbon monoxide is something that shouldn’t be dismissed as it can be much more dangerous. If your symptoms only occur at home and disappear or get better when you leave home you must seek medical attention ASAP to rule out Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

You Might Also Like...

No Comments

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: