I love summer, it means I get so spend quality time with the boys whilst they are on holiday but it also means I get to show off one of my best features (or so I think anyway) my feet.
The nice weather means I get to wear sandals or flip flops and show off my beautifully painted toe nails. I take great pride in them and I love making them all pretty. Below are my tips for how to get your feet ready for the summer.
- Get all your bits and pieces together ready – it’s easier to have them to hand rather than trying to find them mid task! To hand I always have:
- If your toe nails are already painted remove all the nail varnish using nail varnish remover and cotton wool pads or balls.
- Soak your feet in a bowl of warm soapy water for 10 to 15 minutes – the water will help with the next few steps as your skin will be softer and your nails won’t be as hard or brittle. Pat your feet dry with a towel.
- Remove the hard / rough skin from your feet. I found that the Elle Macpherson Heel Smoother (priced at £19.99 from Homedics) is perfect for this job as you can use it on your heels, toes, sides and balls of your feet. The smoother has two speed settings so if you have really bad rough dry skin or just a little bit to keep on top of there is a setting that’s perfect for everyone.
- Once you have removed all the dry skin polish any rough edges / patches of skin. you can do this using the Heel Smoother as it comes with a buffing plate and 6 extra pads. I love that the pads leave you with silky smooth skin once you have finished.
- Use nail clippers or nail scissors and a nail file to trim and file your toenails straight across. It is important that you don’t shape them into a curve as it can make your nails grow wrong which can in turn lead to ingrowing toenails – which can be very painful.
- After filing and cutting your nails soak your feet again just for a couple of minutes or so to wash way and dead skin. Pat your feet dry.
- Give your feet a massage with body moisturiser or hand cream – be careful not to get too much on your nails as you dont want them to be greasy when it comes to painting them. If however you do get moisturiser on them jus give them a quick wipe with some nail varnish remover on a cotton wool pad or ball.
- Paint your nails. I love blues and purples and these are the colours I use most often. Make sure you apply a coat of clear base coat. Once this is dry apply two coats of colour. ‘Make sure you always do two coats. Once the colour is dry apply a clear top coat. Leave your nails to dry properly to ensure that they don’t smudge.
- Wear your favourite summer shoes and show those beauties off.
*I did not receive a financial payment for writing this piece. However, I was sent the Heel Smoother for the purpose of this review, all thoughts and opinions expressed in this piece are my own*