I love nothing better than a fried egg sandwich or poached egg on toast for breakfast but I struggle to find other recipes to use eggs in. The boys like eggs too but they are happier when they are “hidden” in a recipe or scrambled rather than intact with a yolk. If you’re struggling to or would like something new to try why not try the following recipe.
Savoury Bread and Butter Pudding with Ham, Cheese and Cherry Tomatoes
Serves 4 / Prep time: 20 minutes / Cook time 35 minutes
- 40g butter
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced
- 8 thin slices white bread, cut in half
- 100g roast ham, chopped
- 175g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 Big & Fresh eggs
- 450ml milk
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C / fan oven 170°C / Gas Mark 5. Grease a 1.5 litre baking dish with a knob of butter.
2. Melt the rest of the butter in a frying pan and gently fry the spring onions over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
3. Arrange half the bread over the base of the baking dish. Scatter the spring onions on top with all the ham and half the grated cheese. Layer the remaining bread on top.
4. Beat the eggs, add the milk and season with salt and pepper. Pour evenly over the bread. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the surface and add the cherry tomatoes. If you have time, cover and leave to stand for 10-20 minutes.
5. Remove the cover from the pudding and bake for 30-35 minutes, until puffed-up and golden brown. Serve at once.
- Cook’s tips: This is a great recipe for using up bread that’s 2-3 days old, as its drier texture soaks up the egg mixture to give great results.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
- 31g protein
- 32g fat of which 18g saturates
- 35g carbohydrate of which 9g sugars
- 2g dietary fibre
- 1001mg sodium equivalent to 2.4g salt
This recipe was made using Big & Fresh eggs, for more information and other recipes visit www.bigandfresh.co.uk
If this recipe isn’t something you think you’d fancy how about making an omelette? or pancakes? Both are very quick and simple to make, and although pancake day was a few weeks ago we love making and eating pancakes anytime of the year. They make the perfect snack or desert and the boys love to help make the batter, they love it even more when their dad flips the pancakes (I never do this as they always end up a mess or on the floor).
We also used some Big & Fresh eggs when we made a very chocolatey chocolate cake and lots of buns- this post is coming very soon.